In order to determine if video games are beneficial or
detrimental to children is next to impossible because of the multitude of
variables. Games are divided into different sub-categories (sports, crime,
educational, etc.), different consoles (Wii, Xbox,
smartphones, etc.), and different target audiences. Because of the variety of video games available, gaming
has become a ubiquitous form of entertainment in our present-day culture. Our modern culture, as a whole, is becoming a gaming societies. However, the studies
that have been conducted on the effects of gaming on people have been varied
and have produced different, sometimes contradictory results.
“Video
Game Playing and Academic Performance in College Students” by researchers
at Southwestern Oklahoma State University and Oklahoma State University
concludes that increased gaming and lower GPA scores are positively correlated,—more
in males than in females—and the study shows less racial bias and a large group
(671 participants) but regional bias (all participants attended college in the
Midwestern United States). However, individuals, such as Dr. Christopher J.
Ferguson, argue that researchers are over exaggerating the negative effects of
video games, and he is not alone. Many researchers have found that video games
can have positive
effects on children’s education.
The varying and contradictory results of these experiments
have confused the public. Are video games good or bad? And if video games are
bad, why are they still an acceptable form of entertainment?
As a girl, I only have one perspective on video games. I asked myself, “Why do I play
video games?” Rather, the question should be, “Why don’t I play video games?” This
afternoon, in the name of “research,” I played Temple Run.
The pace of the game and the little-effort interactive quality dissolved my initial
reservations. However, after a couple rounds, I abruptly stopped playing. Why?
I felt that I was becoming too absorbed into the game. Turning off the game was
an instinctive reaction to the feeling of losing my footing in reality.

However,
I can see the appeal and the possible “benefits” of the game. I was thinking
faster, reacting faster, and it was improving my hand-eye coordination. (After
playing for only five minutes.)
Still,
my reaction to the game is puzzling. Is this a common reaction others have? Is it a phenomenon that only females experience, or do men react the same?
When I
asked in my Writing
I class why guys play games, one
of the guys in my class answered, “It’s a pride thing.” Studies have shown
that male adolescents who play video games regularly are more violent. Other
studies claim that video games have positive effects on male adolescents, that
games help develop problem-solving skills and improve visual reaction times.
Perhaps we are overlooking the negative effects. Our
society places importance on thinking positively.
We encourage ourselves and others to have a bright outlook on life, and we call
those who look for the negative aspects of life cynics. There’s no question
that games have a negative effect on users. Children could be doing something
more educational, but because one study proved that games do help develop problem-solving
skills and help kids be creative, people overlook the negative impacts.
“APlea for Caution: Violent Video Games, the Supreme Court, and the Role of Science” explores how the Comics
Code Authority standards came to fruition. Certain members of the public
claimed that comics were fostering violence and a lack of morality. Because of
that, the US Senate Subcommittee on Juvenile Delinquency adopted a code in
1954, which regulated the content in comic books and blurred the lines of acceptable
free speech (Hall).
If
comic books were censored because of its violent content, why aren’t
present-day video games censored? Aren’t they fostering violence and a lack of
morality? Even certain books are banned
from public libraries because parents and community leaders have contested that
the content is too controversial or inappropriate.
The
video gaming industry has been fighting for the seal of approval
for their games since the day it went on the market. The Wii console was developed because of the complaint that
gaming was a sedentary activity. The Wii allows users to be interactive in a
physical way.
Big Brain Academy and other purely
education games were developed for other consoles. These games are sold right next
to Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto, and
because they are sold side-by-side, video games have become acceptable.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_IV and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Brain_Academy)
While
I am not advocating the banning of video games, I am one of the many who are
confused by the experts. Are there more pros than cons to video gaming, or vice
versa? And if video gaming is bad, are we, as a society, willing to overlook
the bad because of one good effect?
Works Cited
Day,
Terri and Richard C.W. Hall and Ryan C.W. Hall. “A Plea for Caution: Violent Video Games, the Supreme Court,
and the Role of Science.” Rpt. in Academic Writing,
Real World Topics. By Michael Rectenwald and Lisa Carl. N.p.: n.p., n.d. N.
pag. PDF file.


I believe experts' opinions on video games will always differ in relation to how detrimental/beneficial they are to us. Some prove that it enhances our motor skills, others prove it has a direct correlation with our academic performances, others believe it promotes violent behavior. I wonder if maybe each of us react differently to video games. Perhaps some people are more prone to becoming more easily addicted to video games. Not to mention too that video games' effects can add up with people psychological situations and impact them quite negatively maybe. I agree with you in relation to the question as to how games really impact us, is there a definite answer? Maybe we'll figure it out as future generations become more and more immersed in digital gaming.
ReplyDeleteYour thoughts on videos games are pretty similar to mine. Nowadays, it seems like we're grasping for any positive confirmation for what we're doing. If it's positive, then the activity will continue. If it's not, then we'll just look for other forms of reassurance.
ReplyDeleteThe evidence out there is definitely unclear. On one hand, I feel as though a lot of the information/research may be skewed by the video game companies themselves. After all, it's a multi-billion dollar industry so they have a lot to lose. But on the other hand, it's pretty evident that benefits from playing video games do exist.
Like Anna said above, it seems like there are too many variables to find a definite answer.
Video games are really hard to assess because of how they are already engrained into our technological culture. From iPod Touch's to iPhones to different consoles, they have become present on every child's wish list. The other night at Hanukkah, my cousin was upset because he didn't get a Wii game when my other cousins did, even though he got a skateboard, which is obviously much more expensive and elaborate. There is a certain value placed on these games that can't be overlooked. Very nice article!!
ReplyDeleteYou take a very political stance towards video games and I love it. You're right, where do you draw boundaries between art, literature, and VIDEO GAMES?! Like, if you censor one, why not the other? Your integrated (and at times sarcastic) implications of the economic dependency and political power video games hold (sort of like nicotine addictions, right?) is really interesting. The negatives are definitely there and we do tend to downplay them when we need revenues after the release of COD4 but I appreciate you recognizing the positives of gaming too, as you can see from my post of video games.
ReplyDelete